Martial Arts training can have a lasting effect on both your health and mental well being. Here are our Top 5 Benefits of Martial Arts Training for Kids.
1) Improves Physical Fitness – In today’s day and age, our kids are constantly “plugged in”. Gone are the days when kids would play outside for hours only coming home when the street lights come on. That is why being physically active is so important. Martial Arts is a great way to improve strength, endurance and overall fitness level. And, it’s a LOT of fun for the entire family! It is a total body sport, you use every muscle in your body including your heart and lungs. Taking part in physical activity will also help your kids sleep better – what a bonus!
2) Fosters Self Discipline and Improves Concentration – While each martial arts style is different, discipline is one similarity they all share. For us, the 5 tenants of Tae Kwon Do are courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control and indomitable spirit. Our kids are taught to maintain these moral characteristics both inside and outside the martial arts studio. During class, children learn how to control their minds and their bodies. It helps them find focus and a sense of stillness. By learning to focus and be still, children improve their ability to concentrate when there are distractions. Parents report students with diagnosed ADHD and ADD improve leaps and bounds when enrolled in a martial arts program. The discipline taught in class will spill over in to every day life – including school and home.
3) Teaches Self Defence – Self Defence is the corner stone for most martial arts programs. Martial Arts teaches children how to handle many of life’s challenges – both physical and emotional. Being able to deal with life’s disappointments and let downs is just as important a self defence skill as learning how to punch and kick. We teach kids the skills to avoid dangerous situations and how to defend themselves against a bully or attacker should that situation arise. Children will learn “street smarts” and know how to apply effective techniques when necessary. Knowing these skills gives kids the confidence to react when the time is right. These skills could save their life.
4) Instils Self Confidence – Working through a martial arts program gives children confidence in themselves, knowing they can achieve their goals. By mastering a new technique or earning your next belt rank, children feel a sense of accomplishment and pride. This is a feeling every child should know. We love our belt test days – watching our kids beam with pride as you wrap the new belt around their waist is being a witness to pure joy.
5) Develops Social Skills – Being part of a team or part of a group class, children learn important social skills as they interact with other children and their instructor. Our children show their support of their fellow students by cheering each other on at belt tests, tournaments and during class. Being surrounded by positive influences will have a tremendous effect on your child’s well being and these early experiences will have a lasting impact on the lives.