Motivation simply defined is “a force or influence that causes someone to do something.” Motivation is at the foundation of any accomplishment – in sports, in your career, in your personal life. Desire and determination are key elements to achieving the goals you set out for yourself. But, what drives you during the down times? To become the best that you can be, you must remain motivated and do what ever it takes to reach your goals. Here are a few tips on how to stay motivated:
2. Reward yourself at milestones – celebrate with friends and family, go out for dinner, have a get together, share your success with others.
3. Have an accountability buddy – having someone there to talk to goes a long way in keeping you motivated. Feeling accountable to someone will help you stay on track for the long haul.
4. Have a plan to work through plateaus and slumps – shake up your routine, sometimes small changes can push you through – like getting a new uniform or trying some new gloves.
5. Visualize your achievement – picture your dream coming true, imagine how you will feel wrapping that black belt around your waist……….all the blood, sweat and tears……….TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! Remember the is tremendous power in positive thinking.
6. Reinforce your training values – remember why you started, write down the reasons why you are doing this, what it means to you to achieve this goal, choose to stay committed, to stay dedicated, not because you have to but because you WANT to!
The power is in your hands – it’s up to you! Whatever your motivations, your instructor/trainer/coach will show you the path but they cannot walk the road for you. Life will sometimes get in the way, work, kids, travel, you can get sick, or injured. Missing a class or two is not the end of the world. Life will throw you MANY excuses NOT to train, it’s up to you to make it work. You CAN do it!!!