We received numerous requests from students about running a cardio only class. You talked, we listened! SMA is offering a Cardio Kick Start class starting Saturday, April 9 at 8:30am. The class will run for 4 weeks – excluding Saturday, April 23 (for the tournament). This class will be a 45 minute non -stop, cardio blast! The 4 classes will alternate between a cardio kickboxing style and circuit training. Fun for everyone!!
This class will be open to everyone. No experience required. No uniform needed. Participants can wear regular workout clothing. Bag gloves will be required.
For our current students, this class is an excellent addition to your current training. Looking to work on that cardio for the next belt test, this is the way to do it. As you all know, our tests are not easy. They challenge the mind and the body. The best way to prepare yourself is with high intensity interval training. This will give you the most realistic mirror of an actual SMA belt test.
Current SMA students – please speak to Mrs. M to add you to the roster.
Non-SMA students – can register online or in person.
If you have any additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 587-583-5425.
Summit Martial Arts will be closed December 24 to January 3 for the holidays. Classes will resume Monday, January 4 after this short holiday break. That said, we do not want to lose all our training momentum over the holiday season. So, what can you do at home to keep on track? Here are some ideas:
1. Stretching: we all know how important our stretch is for martial arts. If you find yourself watching a movie or some television, use this time to work on your stretch. Get the whole family involved! We would love to see the pics of our SMA families stretching together.
2. Cardio Training: holidays are for getting together with friends and family to celebrate. Keeping up your cardio will be key over the break. Plus, it will help burn off all the turkey and treats! Try some of these ideas:
- Go for a walk – take the dog, kids, grandma, who ever is home!
- Run stairs – stairs are an excellent cardio activity, no need to leave the house
- Skiing – do you like to ski? Downhill? Cross country? Awesome leg/cardio workout!
- Jump Squats/Lunges – try 30 second intervals for 10 minutes – now your legs should be burning!!
- Go for a run – depending on weather, a quick 20 minute run does the body good.
- Sprints – 30 second sprints, 30 second rest for 10 minutes = GO!
3. Push ups and Crunches: how many for your next belt test? Work on sets of 25 to keep you on pace for your next belt test. Even our Little Monkeys show their push up skills at a belt test. It only gets harder as you move up – remember the black belt test?
4. Kicks, Punches, Stances and Forms: all these can be practised at home over the holidays. Do you have your curriculum for your next test? If you do not have your sheet, email Mrs. Morris and she will send it to you.
5. Squats and Lunges: any where, any time. Sets of 10 (each leg for the lunges) – try 10 rounds = 100 reps!! Want a challenge? Add some dumbbells for extra weight. Don’t underestimate the power of a lower body workout.
6. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is going to give you the best bang for your buck. It’s quick, easy and effective – 20 minutes will do the body good. There are a number of great interval training apps you can download. Program the timer for 20 minutes, pick a variety of exercises, and get movin’. Try these (pick a few, not in any particular order):
- Push ups
- Jumping Jacks
- Mountain Climbers
- Jump Lunges or Jump Squats
- Leg Raises
The holidays can be exhausting, regular exercise can keep your energy level up and help you burn off those extra calories consumed. We hope every one has a safe and happy holiday season! See you all in January!!