Summer is finally here! This is the time of year when lots of our SMA families take vacation or break from their training. After working hard all year, you don’t want to lose your momentum and start over in September. Here are some tips for keeping up your training over the summer months if you are away.
- Push ups and Crunches as always can be done at home all year long. Try doing sets of 25 when you first wake in the morning and again at night before bed. Or try doing sets of 10 during commercials while watching your fave television program.
- Keep up your stretch! This one is crucial – losing your flexibility can lead to injury and will effect every part of your training when you return. Kicks and stances can be greatly improved by regular at home stretching.
- Take your workout outdoors – at the park, camp ground or on the playground – simple exercises can be done any where. A few effective exercises – squats, lunges, push ups, chin ups on the monkey bars, sprints, dips on a park bench, knee tuck ins off the bench – simple and a great workout any one can do!
- Get the whole family involved – parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters – a healthy family is a happy family!
- Sign up for a Team race – summer has a lot of fun, family friendly races – Spartan, Tough Mudder, Color Run – get a team together – train together – Team Summit is training for the Spartan!
- Make it fun! Exercise should not be punishment – it releases endorphins which help with stress and overall health.