Training for the long haul can be a daunting task. Students can often lose motivation and drive somewhere along the road to black belt. What makes the journey special is finding out what you’re made of during these rough patches in the road. One thing that can help you stay motivated and on the path is having an accountability or training partner. The potential benefits to this relationship are too strong to ignore.
Check out what makes this relationship so amazing, how it can impact your training and what things you should look for in a potential training partner.
Here are the top reasons a training partner/accountability buddy is beneficial.
1) They can help you achieve your fitness/martial arts goals – having a partner with similar goals can help elevate your training to the next level, it increases motivation, helps with keeping intensity level high, keeps you accountable, and increases your commitment level
2) Help with form – having a partner there with you during training sessions can help ensure you are keeping proper form and training safely.
3) Safety first – with a training partner, you can feel safe and secure knowing you will have someone there if you need help.
4) You can try new things- bounce ideas off each other – keep things fresh. Having a partner can prevent workout boredom and keeps your training from getting in a rut. It also keeps the FUN in your workouts outside of the dojang.
5) Helps with accountability – knowing you have someone waiting for you keeps you on track and disciplined.
6) Helps eliminate distraction – The perfect partners will keep each other from getting distracted during workouts.
7) Having a partner – either in person, by text, or online – can be hugely beneficial for motivation. Stanford University found that simply receiving check-in phone calls/texts from a partner increased the amount participants exercised by 78% (even after 18 months).
The Perfect Training Partner Checklist/importance
✔ Challenges you during your workouts and vice versa – having someone there to push you for that one last push up, or to keep sparring when you want to give up – keeps you kickin’ butt!
✔ Choose someone with similar goals – if your goal is to get to black belt, then find a partner who is interested in the same. Partnering with someone who is training for physical fitness isn’t the greatest fit if you are looking to do the long road to black belt.
✔ Choose someone with a like-minded attitude – positive energy is infectious!
✔ Motivation – the perfect partner is there to lift you up when you feel down and help keep you going when you want to throw in the towel.
✔ Helpful – look for a partner who is helpful and not overly critical. You want to walk away from your workouts feeling pumped, not defeated!
✔ Accountable – make sure you choose someone you can count on, a partner who is on time and shows up every single training session.
✔ Similar Schedules – this one is crucial – finding a person who is able to work within your work/family/life schedule takes the stress out of planning and can get you on a consistent training schedule.
✔Healthy Competition – a little friendly competition never hurt anyone! Keeps you moving forward!
Whether you are working on your home training or in the gym, having a training partner can make all the difference. Keeping you motivated, keeping you accountable, keeping things fun and challenging you to push yourself to the next level. Talk to your fellow students, see if any one is up for the challenge. You won’t regret it!