Belt tests at Summit Martial Arts are an honoured right of passage. Our belt tests are NOT easy. It is not enough to simply show up, you must EARN your belt. We adhere to a generations old, rigorous standard for our belt promotions. Students are expected to show physical endurance, technical skills and mental fortitude. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for your next belt test:
1) Make sure you have your written belt test curriculum. If you do not have one, please ask Master or Mrs. Morris for the appropriate belt level sheet. These forms are for you to keep, you can check off all the items as you master them.
2) Practice at home! Practicing at home can make a big difference in the mastery of your forms, hand techniques, kicks and 1 step sparring.
3) Work on your physical endurance at home. An easy way to ensure you are ready for the push up and sit up requirement is to practice in smaller chunks. If you are watching television, do sets of push ups/sit ups during the commercials. As you all know, the requirement gets bigger and bigger for every belt level. How many is for black belt again? 🙂
4) Talk with Master Morris about areas that need improvement. Master Morris is always available before/after class to discuss your progress and what you need to work on.
5) Work toward earning ALL 4 of your skill stripes. We have no set day/time for a skill stripe test. If you feel you are ready, ask Master Morris to look at your forms before/after class.
6) Make sure to attend EVERY practice. The easiest way to ensure your progression through the ranks is to come to class regularly. It is that simple. The more you come to class, the more you learn, the more you get to practice.
7) Be sure to have a positive mental attitude. Attitude can determine success or failure. If you believe in yourself, you are capable of doing anything you set your mind to. The power is in YOUR hands.
A student must receive an invitation to grade for their next belt. Each student’s journey is unique – the time it takes to progress can be different for everyone. We are dedicated to seeing you be successful in your martial arts journey. Train hard and never give up!